Sunday, April 08, 2007

"Food, glorious Food!"

"Please, Sir, I want some more!"

"Mooooore?"

On the 6th day of Pesach, who, in their right mind, wants MORE?

And what MORE are we talking about? More FOOD? More MATZA? More Yontovs? More Shul services?

What is going on here?

Well, it is spring, and Charleston’s blossoms and flowers are out in glorious color. So what if the cars are all dusty shades of green. More POLLEN, anyone? (Everyone is coughing, tearing, sniffling, and generally too choked up to respond?)

I believe there is some wisdom that goes - don’t complain about the rain . . .


My interest is in seasonal activities, but mostly focused on the community. I am speaking of things as I see
them. I hope others share my perspective.









For example, I enjoyed the AHA fundraiser, "An Evening of Good Taste". The setting was pleasing, the atmosphere relaxed, and the evening was entertaining. I am sure some could find things to fault, but none seemed serious to me.

Ok. The funny guy from Atlanta was not so funny. But he did give us something to talk about, and he did contribute a new element to Rabbi "Zitner’s" growing legend. I will make a prediction - that name might be around for a while. And if you want to see the Rabbi smile, ask him about it. If that doesn’t work, tell him you enjoyed his rendition of "Piano Man" in concert with Mark Rosenberg. I think the music was great.

On top of that, it was an occassion when we could all come together for AHA, which is not just about our future, even more, it is about our present. The more we come together around AHA, the stronger and more vibrant we become.

And so it was also with "Oliver".





















Three enthusiastically received performances, all to full houses. The children at AHA have never looked cuter. The singing was excellent, and so many different children had a chance to shine. Even the chorus was phenomenal - their voices boomed exuberantly "Food, glorious Food!", and the audience got to join in eventually too, for a boisterous rendition of "Oompahpah".




















For me, some of the highlights took place off the stage. Something I have always treasured about the school is the way the younger students get to interact with their elders - not the adults, but the senior students. And not just onstage, but at other times as well. I saw a tall fellow in a tophat getting roughhoused by a first-grader.






Then I bumped into a young lad in costume, made all the more realistic by his very long and very untidy hair. "So," I said, "Now that the shows are over, you can get your hair cut!" (This I said in a tone suggesting some disapproval of his appearance!) All I got for my effort at reforming our youth was a beaming grin - priceless!



So, "MORE" I say. And thanks to all who work so hard to make this stuff happen.

Chag Sameach to all for the last two days of Pesach,

And for an encore, kindly pass me the matza!






No comments: