Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Seeking Refuge

As 2006 drew to a close, I was pleased to make an unexpected discovery on the web. I came across the webpage version of an exhibition I had attended about a year before in South Africa. Called "Seeking Refuge", the exhibtion focused on the German-Jewish immigration to Johannesburg in the years leading up to World War ll.

The exhibition was held at the Goethe Institute in Johannesburg, SA, and featured a general review of German-Jewish history, and the important elements of the migration to South Africa. Half the exhibition then focused on biographic sketches of 25 people who had settled in Johannesburg. My family was represented in biographic panels about my mother, Eva Spangenthal and her father, Max Halberstadt, and my aunt Gerda Jospe (nee Rosenthal).

The photograph above is of my mother, Eva, taken by her father, Max Halberstadt. Their combined biography can be reviewed by clicking on this link - Eva Spangenthal

Click here for the general introduction to the exhibition, which includes a self-portrait of my grandfather, practicing his craft. From here you can find other links for a complete virtual tour of the exhibition.
_____________________
Update: February 14, 2007.

The work of my grandfather, Max Halberstadt, was published in a book by Wilfried Weinke. Wil has just received an award in Germany for his work.

No comments: